PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder) is a clinical term used to describe universal reactions, and the symptoms people display, as a result of trauma. Abortion is traumatic. It affects your body, mind, emotions and spirit. Some women may experience one or more of the clinical symptoms listed below following their abortion.
- Suicidal thoughts
- Alcohol and/or Substance abuse
- Eating disorders
- Numbness – a diminished ability to experience emotion
- A sense of alienation from self, family, friends
- Isolation – self-imposed to avoid sharing the abortion experience with others
- Avoidance behavior centered on children, pregnancy, abortion
- Inability to forgive oneself
- Low self-esteem
- Grief – inability to share this grief
- Crying spells
- Anniversary sorrow (increased sadness on abortion date and/or due date)
- Difficulty concentrating
- Baby dreams or auditory hallucinations of a baby crying
- Sleep disorders
- Troubled relationships with significant other, family and friends
- Involvement in abusive relationships w/men
- Intimacy problems, sexual dysfunction
- Uncontrolled anger
- Anxiety over fertility and childbearing issues
- Difficulties in subsequent pregnancies and labor and delivery
- Pregnancy loss issues – future miscarriages viewed as punishments
- Difficulty bonding with subsequent children
- Child abuse
- Preoccupation with becoming pregnant again – atonement pregnancy
- Phantom pregnancy – the belief that one is pregnant when she is not
- Increased bitterness toward men
One Woman’s Experience with Abortion PTSD
Information empowers you.
What you don’t know can hurt you.
You deserve to know.
If you have had an abortion(s) in your past, compassionate and confidential help
is available free of charge through the Project Rachel ministry.
Healing is possible
Visit www.projectrachelkc.org to learn more.
To find nationwide resources, visit www.hopeafterabortion.com